Are YOU interested in the environment? We all are! We work every day to ensure a healthy environment for our region. We share information, discuss community concerns, represent you in finding solutions and work toward responsible development. Our various programs are developed to protect and improve our surroundings. Join us today – we have a level of activity and involvement that will suit you. Volunteer by contacting us through the link on our Home page, or choose the Contact Us tab on the Home page to phone or e-mail us. Consider these options:
*Become a Board or Committee member
- Members of the Board of Directors are elected at the spring Annual General Meeting
- Committee members are appointed annually immediately following the Annual General Meeting
* Air Quality Monitoring
- If you are interested in the quality of air that you are breathing, you can take samples that will be tested for you. We provide the canisters to collect air samples as well as the basic training required. You will then receive a detailed report regarding the test results.
* Annual General Meeting
- Volunteers are needed for various duties related to this April event.
* Education Programs
- Keen on education? Consider helping us out with development or delivery of educational programs. This could be in the community or the schools, or both. Awareness of our environment is so important and a goal that we strive for.
* LakeWatch Program
- LakeWatch is a community monitoring program to identify water quality and quantity trends at lakes in the region and raise public awareness.
- Volunteers test the lakes five times during the summer (June to September). Approximately ten lakes in our region are tested annually.
- Volunteers need access to a motorized boat, but no special skills are required as technicians conduct the process.
- A Volunteer Welcome Package can be found at www.alms.ca
* Presentation Series (various dates throughout the year)
- Volunteers may help with these events which include a supper & the sharing of information.
* Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup
- This is an initiative of the Vancouver Aquarium, sponsored by Loblaw, and co-ordinated by LICA. A portion of lakeshore is cleaned by volunteers each September. This is a small time commitment that shows instant results!
- Volunteers are always needed and welcome to assist with hosting duties at a variety of events, such as the Annual General Meeting, Information Sessions and Meetings.
*Attend a Meeting
- If you’d just like to sit in on a Board or Committee meeting to hear what LICA is all about or learn about a specific topic or initiative that LICA is pursuing, you are very welcome to do so. You can participate in all discussions if you choose to, or simply listen, but you will not have a voice in the decision making (i.e. a vote).
* Christmas at LICA (December)
- Volunteers are needed for various duties related to this special social event.